Special Letter From NGC President Nancy Hargroves
Nancy Hargroves asked that club presidents forward the following information to their membership pertaining to an exciting fundraising opportunity.
Her letter reads as follows:
There was an overwhelming response to the PLANT AMERICA Community Project Grants Program. 415 garden clubs applied in the first year of this new NGC program! This is wonderful that so many clubs are active in their communities.
This level of response shows the needs of NGC’s clubs. One of our roles as a national organization is to support our clubs in accomplishing our mission. NGC must do all it can to expand the funding for these grants to help clubs all across the country with their projects.
In order for this fund to increase so that NGC can give more grants, P. Allen Smith is providing a fundraising opportunity for PLANT AMERICA Grants. He offered his gardening and business advice and expertise for the plant selection, for obtaining the plants and for the method of distribution to our members. He believes in our organization’s purpose and mission and has helped develop this promotion in many ways by giving his time, his staff’s time and by donating a very generous percentage of the sales.
I am very proud to announce that beginning March 1 and ending June 15, National Garden Clubs will be selling plants selected by P. Allen Smith. This promotion, entitled Inspiring Gardens Across America, includes three different collections of plants. Each item was chosen because of a special feature in its hybridization for performance or beauty or for its limited availability in the general marketplace.
1. Peony Flowering Daylily Collection. This collection includes three of the most prolific reblooming double-flowering daylilies.
2. Sunpatiens® ‘Razzle Dazzle’ Collection. This is not your grandmother’s impatiens! SunPatiens® is a hybrid impatiens bred by Sakata. These remarkable plants represent a breakthrough in flower breeding: they are sun–loving and bloom from spring through frost. P. Allen Smith has grown these in containers and on the grounds of Moss Mountain Farm where they survive the hot summers of Arkansas with no wilting. Each of the four cultivars was picked as the one that is the most vigorous in the series.
3. Whitewashed Wooden Stand with Succulents. This selection is for succulent lovers and those who no longer have a garden! The whitewashed wooden stand of reclaimed wood holds three pots of succulents. It’s also a great gift item for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and other spring occasions.
More detailed descriptions of these plants are included in the brochure/order form that is attached.
Orders can be placed in two ways:
1. NGC Website Online Shopping - www.shopgardenclub.org/shop
2. Mail a check with the order form to NGC headquarters, 4401 Magnolia Ave, St. Louis, MO 63110. The order form in the brochure can be used, or the order form can be downloaded from the NGC website on the PLANT AMERICA page: www.gardenclub.org/projects/plant-america
Orders will be accepted starting March 1. Please note: some items will be shipped when it is appropriate for your growing zone. Order early while supplies last.
This promotion is not meant to be “We’ve got a bargain for you.” These are quality items chosen by P. Allen Smith that he knows will perform well in your home and garden or as a gift for someone. Allen and NGC share the goal of “Inspiring Gardens Across America” by contributing to the PLANT AMERICA Grant Fund so that we may give as much help as possible to NGC-member garden clubs in their projects all across America.
Our purchases will help grow the NGC PLANT AMERICA Grant Program. Thank you for your support, as all of us working together can benefit so many of our garden clubs throughout the country.